Agreement for the conversion of the Albanian driving license
On March 17, the bilateral agreement between Italy and Albania was signed which establishes the cases in which the license issued in Albania can be converted, thus overcoming the need to take a new examination to obtain the Italian driving license.
The last agreement had expired in 2019 and had not yet been renewed until now. The new agreement will have a duration of 5 years or until March 2026.
Like the previous one, this also confirms the possibility for Albanian citizens who are not resident in Italy to be able to drive with an Albanian license for 1 year from the moment of acquiring residence, and the possibility of requesting conversion within the following 3 years. Obviously, it is not possible to request the conversion of the Albanian driving license obtained while residing in Italy. This possibility is expressly provided for and excluded by Article 5 of the agreement.
The documents required at the time of the request are the following:
- Declaration substitutive of certification, indicating the date and place of the first acquisition of residence in Italy.
- Stamped medical certificate with a photo
- Two photos, one of which authenticated
- Valid Albanian driving license
- Sworn full translation of the driving license
- Photocopy of the identity document
- Photocopy of the Tax Code
- Photocopy of residence permit/ residence card or postal receipt in case of first issue or renewal.
Albanian citizens who do not reside permanently in Italy but are traveling for short periods, can move freely if in possession of an international driving license accompanied by a valid Albanian national driving license.