The Residence Permit for medical treatment
The Residence permit for medical treatment is governed by Article 36 of the T.U. 286/98 which provides for three different types of case studies:
– Non-EU citizens request entry to Italy for medical treatment that is not accessible or not possible in their country of origin
– The non-EU citizen is transferred to Italy through international humanitarian organizations in agreement with the State to take advantage of medical treatments that are not accessible or not possible in their country of origin
– The non-EU citizen is transferred to Italy through international humanitarian organizations in agreement with an Italian Region to take advantage of medical treatments that are not accessible or not possible in their country of origin
In all three cases, the non-EU citizen must not be registered with the National Health Service, except for the case of entry for treatment issued to women during the period of pregnancy.
In the second and third cases, the State or the Region will be responsible for the medical costs, while in the first case all the economic expenses will be borne by the foreign citizen.
To obtain the entry visa for medical treatment , a declaration from the healthcare facility must be presented to the competent Italian Embassy, which must indicate the type of treatment, the start and end date of the treatment, the length of stay and the presumable cost of the services.
In addition, the foreign citizen must present a security deposit equal to 30% of the amount and must also demonstrate how he will pay the remaining 70% of the accommodation and food costs and repatriation costs.
Citizens in need of medical care can use a companion, who must follow the same procedure to first obtaining the Entry Visa and, once arrived in Italy, within 8 days request the relative Residence Permit.
The Residence Permit can be issued for a duration equal to the time necessary for medical treatment, with the possibility of renewing it, before the expiry, if it is necessary to continue the therapeutic treatments exclusively in Italy. Are you a companion and need more information? Contact us!