What is the University ISEE and who is it for

The ISEE (Indicator of the Equivalent Economic Situation), is an indicator used to evaluate and compare the economic situation of families.

Among the various types there is the also the “University” ISEE, a certification that university students must submit to the University when enrolling in the academic year, in order to allow the calculation of university fees based on their ability to pay. Universities divide students into bands, each of which corresponds to a specific amount of fee. The document is also required when applying for scholarships.

With respect to the definition of the family unit, the student is considered autonomous when he has been residing outside the housing unit of the family of origin for at least two years and has an adequate income capacity.

To obtain the ISEE for the university, the student must forward a request to a Caf, an accountant or to INPS to issue the DSU (single substitute declaration) necessary for calculating the income situation and therefore the ISEE model. The following documents mos be attached to the request:

  • family status;
  • tax Code;
  • valid identity document;
  • last tax return (Modello UNICO   or 730 form);
  • certification of income (Certificazione unica);
  • rental contract and copy of the last rent paid;
  • account balance of bank and post office deposits;
  • account statements with average annual balance of bank and postal deposits at 31/12 of the previous year;
  • shares or quotas held in companies or collective investment schemes;
  • real estate data as resulting from cadastral survey;
  • life insurance contract.

Foreign students or Italian students residing abroad can apply for EQUALIZED ISEEU. In this case, in addition to the documentation of any income and assets produced in Italy, it is necessary to show the documentation that, for each member of the family unit, certifies:

  • personal data
  • income (previous year) produced abroad
  • assets (previous year) owned abroad

which must be issued by the competent authorities of the country where the income was been generated and translated into Italian by the Italian diplomatic authorities competent for the territory.