The Long-term Residence permit CE

Those who are in possession of a valid residence permit for a reason that allows an indefinite number of renewals such as: family, subordinate work, self-employment, political asylum, elective residence, religious reasons, statelessness, and regularly residing in Italy for at least five years, can apply for a long-term residence permit.

In addition, it is necessary for the interested party to demonstrate that they have economic resources from legitimate sources. This availability must have already accrued in the year preceding the one in which the application is submitted, as well as it must also exist in the same year in which the application is submitted. The amount of the annual gross income, to be met for the request, must be at least equal to the amount of the social security check of the year of reference.

In addition, the interested party must not be considered dangerous to public order and state security. To prove this, the criminal record certificate and certificate of pending charges must be provided.

The foreign citizen applying for a residence card must also demonstrate that he / she has a level of knowledge of the Italian language at least A2.

To sum up, here are all the documents to include in the Postal Kit at the time of the request:

  • copy of a valid passport (or other equivalent document);
  • copy of the tax return;
  • criminal record certificate and certificate of pending charges;
  • copy of the pay slips for the current year;
  • documentation certifying the availability of suitable accommodation if the application is also presented for family members;
  • postal payment slip for the electronic residence permit of € 30.46;
  • copy of the certificate of residence and family status;
  • revenue stamp of 16.00 euros.

If the EU long-term residence permit is requested for family members, it is also necessary to attach the documents proving:

  • a sufficient and adequate income for the composition of the family unit;
  •  the registry certificate attesting the family relationship. Obviously, the documentation must be translated, legalized and validated by the consular authority in the foreigner’s country of origin;
  • passing an Italian language test or its possession.

Unlike the residence permit, which allows non-EU foreigners to stay in Italy for a variable period of time, the residence card is for an indefinite period.